Winter is upon us, so don’t be like the bears and hibernate! There’s plenty of fun winter activities that you can participate in even if you are on a budget.
Check out these 25 must do winter activities to keep you active, engaged and they get you out of the house so you aren’t cooped up all winter long!
- Go on a winter hike – look for animal tracks in the snow, take pictures, go on a scavenger hunt and enjoy
- Make snow angels – this isn’t just an activity for kids, get your snow pants on adults and get out there too
- Build a snowman – have a friendly neighbourhood challenge
- Winter can be tough on seniors and people with mobility issues – do a good deed like shovelling their driveway, picking up groceries or walk their dog for them.
- Go ice skating – try indoors and outdoors – my fave outdoor arena is Arrowhead Provincial Park Ice Trail
- Attend a winter festival – such as The Quebec Winter Carnival or The Niagara Winter Festival of Lights
- Enjoy tobogganing and then warm up hot chocolate afterwards
- Bake cookies and make homemade cocoa
- Drive around your neighbourhood and admire the holiday lights
- Attend a winter parade, such as the Santa Claus Parade
- Make unique paper snowflakes to hang from the tree, display in the window or just to enjoy the process of making a beautiful masterpiece
- When there’s enough snow, create a snow fort using buckets or containers to make ice bricks (it’s like building a sandcastle but with snow instead)
- Volunteer your time to help out your local foodbank, animal shelter or toy drive
- Roast marshmallows, drink hot chocolate and warm up around a winter campfire
- Go snowshoeing – it’s healthy and active. You can enjoy the crisp air, discover animal tracks in the snow and appreciate nature in winter.
- Get outdoors and try Ice Fishing. Ontarians can enjoy license-free fishing February 17-19, 2018.
- Make birdhouses and feeders and then place them outdoors and enjoy bird watching and identifying
- Not a fan of skiing or want to try something new, give snow tubing a whirl
- Go on a downhill or cross-country skiing adventure
- Visit a maple syrup farm, take the tour, learn about maple syrup production and make sure you sample the goods
- Play a game of good ‘ole pond hockey (on safe ponds) or find an outdoor arena to enjoy a game
- Dance among the falling snowflakes, catch them, let them fall on your tongue
- The winter is a great time to create a time capsule. Collect items from the year that are meaningful, write notes and store in a shoebox or small container. Hide the capsule to discover in the future and enjoy reminiscing about the items inside
- Take a ride on a horse-drawn wagon with the family or make a romantic winter date with your beau
- Enjoy the spectacular display of Northern Lights if you’re in an area that enables you, it’s a breathtaking experience that you won’t forget
Don’t let the long, dark, and boring winter months bring you down. Now is the time to plan your next winter activity and get to it.
Have fun and stay warm!
Photo Credit: Pexels.com