Yes, I know I keep saying that back to school is around the corner….but it really is! Parents are busy getting their kids back into the school routine and looking for the all the items on the school supplies list plus other necessities for starting the new school year.
Personally I’ve never seen lunch box supplies on any official school district’s supply list, however, it’s a great idea to create a back to school litterless lunch kit. When you buy containers and other lunch box supplies once; you’ll save money all year not buying disposable lunch bags and sandwich bags over and over and over again!
Here are my suggestions for creating a back to school litter lunch kit, you decide what items you need and what will work best for your lunch preference:
First you’ll need a reusable lunch bag to store all of your lunch box items inside
- Fit & Fresh Kids Insulated Gabby Lunch Bag – comes in various colours and patterns
- Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Kids Insulated Lunch Bag – Hudson Hedgehog
- PackIt Freezable Lunch Bag – various colours and patterns to choose from
A reusable water bottle is a must have to stay hydrated.
- Sip by S’well Insulated Double-Walled 15oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Klean Kanteen Kids 12oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle with sport cap
Bento Box Containers or Other Containers
You’ll also need some containers for packing sandwiches, one pot meals, snacks, raw fruits and veggies or whatever you send in the days lunch.
- Fit & Fresh Kids Bento Box Lunch Kit – Includes large Bento container with lid, 2 small Bento PODS, 1 Lunch pod sized ice pack, 1 x 2 cup sized ice pack and an insulated bag – various patterns and colours available
- Bentology Lunch Bag and Box Set Camo Sharks – includes insulated sleeve with a buckle handle, a translucent bento lunch box with 5 containers and 3 leak-proof lids and an ice pack
- Rubbermaid LunchBlox Sandwich Kit – includes 1 x 2.6 Cup Sandwich Container, 2 x 0.5 Cup Snack Containers, 1 x 1.2 Cup Side Container, and 1 Blue Ice Pack in guacamole green
- Mixed Ziploc Reusable Containers – 26 pack
A Thermos is the perfect tool for for keeping heated foods warm
- Thermos Funtainer 10oz Food Jar – various designs for the kids and big kids at heart
And there are a couple of items that may get missed in a litterless lunch kit, including: napkins, cutlery and ice packs.
An excellent substitution for using paper towels or paper napkins; you’ll produce less waste and save money too
- PICKmeUP Napkins, Positive Messages Design – set of 5, one for each school day with a positive message to read and inspire
- Linen Tablecloth Napkins – One dozen set in various colours
Stainless Steel Cutlery
If you need cutlery for your lunch box, you can either bring some from your kitchen set or you can get a stainless steel set that is dedicated to your litterless lunch kit
- Vanra Child Cutlery Set – 2 piece stainless steel reusable eating utensils
- EQLEF Portable Cutlery Set – 3 piece stainless steel reusable eating utensils
Reusable Ice Packs
Reusable ice packs are handy for keeping foods chilled and within a safe temperature during warmer weather.
- Fit & Fresh Cool Coolers Lunch Box Slim Ice Packs – set of 4 in bright colours
- Magicfly Cool Coolers Slim Ice Packs, set of 6 includes pink, yellow and blue
In order to really save money when it comes to your litterless lunch supplies, make sure that everyone knows who they belong to. It will take a bite on your wallet if you have to replace your litterless lunch kit items because they went home with another child/person.
Identify Your Containers
So maybe labelling isn’t enough to get those containers back home.
Give Them A Reason To Bring The Containers Home
Consider incentivizing the return of the containers. Let’s say the kids bring them home every day of the school week (and hopefully take them out of their school bags too), you could give them an extra hour of screen time or the chance to stay up an hour longer on Friday nights. You determine what will motivate your child to make it part of their routine and stick with it!
Have you created a litterless lunch kit yet? What item in your lunch kit is the most essential to you?
Disclosure: I am participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.