It’s always a good idea to prevent things from cluttering your life and your space. But what if it’s already too late? I say it’s declutter time! It may seem like a huge task to declutter your space and your life, but it really doesn’t have to be overwhelming.
My suggestion to keep decluttering simple, is to deal with one item on the list each day for 30 days. I personally like to get started as soon as the holidays begin to wind down, call it routine! You can develop your own plan for decluttering that works for your schedule.
30 Things to Throw Out In The Next 30 Days
Some of these items could be sold, donated, or upcycled rather than discarded into waste and ultimately into our landfills. I like to use cardboard boxes labelled garbage, donate, upcycle and sell to sort the stuff on the list.
- Toss out out Christmas lights that don’t work
- Remove expired coupons from your stash
- Delete emails from your junk folder
- Clean out your old web bookmarks
- Discard expired medications through your pharmacy, police station or hazardous waste facility in your municipality
- Get rid of old, worn out shoes
- Gather those ragged, stretched out t-shirts and repurpose them into rags
- Donate or recycle those cardboard boxes piling up
- Cancel digital services that you no longer use
- Clean out empty gift cards from your wallet
- Pass along books you’ve read to friends and family, or donate them to your library
- Receipts pile up, recycle the ones you don’t need (shred them first for privacy)
- Shopping bags can be gathered and donated to your local foodbank
- Empty food jars or storage containers can be repurposed, recycled or donated to schools for craft projects
- Check the expiry dates on your cosmetics and skin care products, discard those out of date
- Clean out old loyalty cards from your wallet and cancel the ones you no longer use
- Clean up your old paperwork and don’t forget to protect your privacy by shredding it first
- Go through your smartphone apps and delete the apps you don’t use
- Donate or sell DVD or Blu-ray movies you don’t watch anymore
- Discard those stretched out hair ties
- Unsubscribe and delete emails from stores you don’t shop at
- Discard those makeup sponges that are gunked up with product
- Donate novels that you have already read or do not enjoy
- Donate or recycle old cell phones and/or electronics
- Get rid one onesie socks that lost their match, they make great dusters for cleaning day
- Clean up and recycle those outdated magazines (some schools may be interested in select magazines for the pictures inside…think crafts)
- Tarnished jewellery can be tossed or upcycled into a craft project
- Toss those scratched, broken or worn out sunglasses
- Donate old prescription eyeglasses to clubs which send overseas
- Go through your pictures and delete blurry images, duplicate images, screenshots and clear up some of your hard drive space
Okay, so now you’ve managed 30 items that may have been cluttering your life. Celebrate your success, take some days off for yourself and then you can delve into my list of 30 more things to throw out in the next 30 days (coming soon).
Enjoy your simplified life!