I love spending time in my gardens growing fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and a wide range of perennials, annuals and cut flowers. As the summer season winds down, it’s time to harvest many crops; which often leaves us with an abundance of produce that we can’t possibly consume while the food is still at its nutritional best!
You could share some of your bountiful harvest with friends, family and neighbours, donate to your local foodbank, and you can preserve your foods for the winter too. I love grabbing a jar of my bottled garden harvest during the winter months from my pantry; it brings back memories of the growing season, plus it’s so delicious and fresh tasting!
Preserving foods is fairly simple to do but there are some essential tools which you’ll need, to start canning, drying, pickling, fermenting, freezing and saving your harvest for the months to come.
Tools for Preserving Foods for the Winter
Get inspired with preservation recipes:
- Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes For Today
- Batch: Over 200 Recipes, Tips and Techniques for a Well Preserved Kitchen
- The Preservatory: Seasonally Inspired Recipes for Creating and Cooking With Artisanal Preserves
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Dehydrating Foods
- My Presto Pressure Canner Cookbook: 120 Contemporary and Fun Recipes
Get the canning starter kit:
- Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving Book
- Norpro 6-piece Canning Set
- Bernardin 17 -piece Canning Kit with Canner
Put the pressure on:
- Presto Pressure Canner, 23-quart
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker Slow Cooker 6-quart
Get jarred with the proper glass jars designed for traditional canning:
- Bernardin Wide Mouth Jars, 750mL, 9-pack
- Bernardin Regular Mouth Mason Jars, 250mL, 12-pack
- Bernardin Regular Mouth Mason Jars, 125mL, 12-pack (add-on)
- Bernardin Freezer Jars, 236mL, 5-pack
- Bernardin Freezer Jars, 946 mL, 3-pack
- Norpro Jelly Strainer Bags
More food preservation equipment:
- FoodSaver 2-in-1 Fridge and Freezer Preservation System Vacuum Sealer
- Hamilton Beach Food Dehydrator
- Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit
- Starfrit Easy Mandolin Slicer
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer (with Fruit and Vegetable Strainer & Grinder attachment)
- KitchenAid Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Grinder Stand Mixer Attachment
Bernardin is a great resource tool for learning all about canning; get started with the Bernardin Home Canning How To Guide. Learn more about canning and get exclusive recipes when you sign up for the weekly Bernardin newsletter.
Learn more techniques with the free handbook on canning, freezing, dehydrating and pickling from the experts at Countryside Magazine.
Enjoy your good eats!
Disclosure: I am participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. If you love free shipping and other perks, try out Amazon Prime. Thank you for supporting my blogging adventure!