February 19th is Family Day in Alberta, Manitoba (Louis Riel Day), Nova Scotia (Heritage Day), Ontario, PEI (Islander Day), and Saskatchewan. Here are some ideas for celebrating family day.
Great Ideas For Celebrating Family Day
- Go ice skating on an outdoor rink
- Look for animal tracks in the snow and try to identify which animal made them
- Call and feed Chickadees from the palm of your hand
- Go ice fishing
- Find a safe hill and go tobogganing
- Snowshoeing is a fun family activity
- Enjoy an outdoor fire with hot chocolate and make s’mores
- Build a family of snow people and pets
- Play board games
- Bake yummy treats together
- Host a movie marathon or binge watch a tv series
- Get your creative juices flowing and make some crafts with each other
- Visit a museum or historic site
- Bounce around at an indoor trampoline park
- Go and volunteer your time as a family
- Pop in an exercise DVD and get active together
What is Family Day, when is it, and where is it celebrated in Canada?
Family Day is a statutory holiday to encourage families to spend time together. There are lots of planned events to celebrate the holiday across the provinces which observe the Family Day holiday. If you have the time off work and plan to be with your family, why not check out some of the great events happening and create some special family memories you’ll cherish.
Family Day is observed on the third Monday in February in Alberta, Ontario, and Saskatchewan. On this same day, Manitoba celebrates Louis Riel Day, Prince Edward Island celebrates Islander Day and Nova Scotia celebrates Heritage Day.
British Columbia also introduced family day in the province, however it is observed on the second Monday in February.
Photo Credit: Pexels.com